World Enough and Time
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
33995 Posts in 1435 Topics by 356 Members
Latest Member: Lurker
* Home PM Inbox SMF Help User Guide Site Rules Staff Members Tag Search ZC Blog Fiction & Art Login Register
World Enough and Time  |  The Hall  |  Please introduce yourself...  |  Enticed and Introduced  |  Topic: Yet Another of These Introduction Thingies
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yet Another of These Introduction Thingies  (Read 12168 times)
Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Referrals: 0

Stand and deliver...

« on: June 22, 2010, 10:42:00 PM »

• How did you hear about the site?
I know Ivory Rose and Yanaba79 and have listened to them gushing about how wonderful this site is. So, interest piqued, I decided to give it a try.

• What sort of roleplay and/or writing have you done before?
For RP: A mish-mash of almost everything in too many settings to list. Tabletop, LARP, Mush and Muck, and forum. Writing: I mainly stick to dark fantasy, urban fantasy, paranormal, modern day and RP character based fiction. I like adventure, fantasy and romance. I’ve done flash fiction, round robins, prompt based writing and, of course, RP.

• Are there any games, genres, authors or game/fiction universes that you particularly do or don't like?
I don’t like hard Sci-Fi or really detailed historical universes, mostly because I don’t know a ton about those genres.
I do like genres listed in the question above, Charles De Lint, Holly Black, and Patricia Briggs off the top of my head. My favorite game system is 3.5 ed. D&D.

• Are there any types of adult content that you do or don't like?
I don’t like heavy blood and gore or non-con that hasn’t been talked through first.

I am female, over 21 and have read the rules.

It will speed up the approval process if you could copy and paste a paragraph or two of your writing into your post or provide a link to something of yours that is publicly accessible on the internet. It need not be suitable for children, but please keep adult themes toned down.

This is from a list of fiction prompts, the phrase of the day being 'Breathe Again'. I was trying out futuristic paranormal for a change of pace, so this is a good example of me going with the flow in unfamiliar territory.

The room is cold and clinical, all stainless steel and disinfectant smell. The hum of machinery is constant, like locusts in summer, drowning the noise from outside. Kilari stands in front of the black power suit, one finger trailing down its chest, anger plain on her face. She stops when she hits a ‘scar’, just below the left rib cage. “Why was I dismissed from the team, Dr. Arin?”

The good doctor, dressed in pristine white lab coat over a neat black suit, shuffles uncomfortably and looks at his tablet. “I am not sure why that is relevant at this po…”

Kilari spins on him, eyes narrowed, interrupting with a burst of venomous anger. “Why was I dismissed, doctor? Tell me!”

He clutches the tablet in front of himself, as if to ward her away.”You were deemed too unstable to continue with the operation, Ms. Lancaster.” She steps forward, he steps back. Within minutes she has him to the wall, close enough that he can feel the snarling heat of her breath.

“Then why, Dr. Arin, am I back in this damned room with this damned suit? Hmmm?” She treats him like the suit, jabbing her finger into his collarbone and running it slowly down his chest. “I recall being a danger, or was that a security risk? Oh, both, wasn’t it? Didn’t play well with others, did I? Left a team member to be shucked and eaten raw, sucked down like an oyster.”

“Please, Ms. Lancaster, I hardly…” He chokes on his words as she slips her fingers up, around his throat.

“Now, now, let the raving lunatic rave, hmm?” Her smile is feral. He is uncomfortably reminded of the pictures in her file. She always looked crazed, even when she was a new recruit, and it only got worse as the years progressed. “I have been enjoying my retirement, Issac. I have a nice place, you know, all the trimmings. I can come and go as I please, eat and drink whenever I want, wear sweats twenty-four seven. And you know the best part? No damned suit and no damned leeches!” Her words are punctuated with a rhythmic squeeze and he prays that someone is monitoring the room. “Now, tell me Issac, why am I here again?”

He chokes, clears his throat, swallows desperately beneath her fingers. Meets those crazed eyes with fear raw in his own. He manages to answer, but only barely. “We’re losing ground, can’t keep the leeches down. You’re the only one who has ever utilized the suits to their full potential, Ms. Lancaster.”

“Oh, dear, yes. I remember reading the more recent reports…Your fucking boy scouts can’t handle it, can they? Too stable, hmm? Won’t kill a leech that looks like a little girl, won’t leave a man behind? So, you need me, your wayward little beta subject, because I’m so very bad? Fight the monsters with a monster?” She squeezes so hard he is sure his windpipe will collapse, the tablet clatters to the floor and shatters. A laugh, and she grinds her heel into the screen. “Too goddamned bad, Issac, I’m retired.”

The cavalry arrives then, one man strong, sweeping in with gun drawn.

“Kilari, for Christ’s sake, let him go!” The head guard demands, showing just enough hesitation that she doesn’t immediately obey.

“Oh, Alex, we’re just having a little discussion about why I’ll be walking out that door and not coming back. No need to take our Lord’s name in vain.” Her laugh is disturbing, high and unsteady. She lets go. Issac gasps like a fish as he sinks to the floor, finally able to breathe again.

Kilari turns with animal grace, a shadow in the bright room, taking her leave even as the gun is trained on her. “Alex, Issac, get fucked…I’m not coming back.”
And off she goes, sure in her movements and just as mad as they all remember.

As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between fact and what most people call fiction is about fifteen pages in the dictionary. - Charles de Lint
Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

Referrals: 11

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 12:33:40 AM »

Hello and welcome to World Enough and Time!  9Especially since I was one of the ones that bugged you to apply  LOL.  We have a twenty four hour wait while the admin goes over your application but with a nice sample like that I doubt you have a problem.  So while we wait, we usually ask some getting to know you questions.  What is the difference between a raven and a writing desk?

Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Stand and deliver...

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »

Hehe. It took me a while, but I finally worked up the energy!

Hmmm. Well, there's no one, good answer but I usually go with "Both have quills." A pretty antiquated answer, since I doubt most writing desks still have feather pens, nib pens, or anything you have to dip in ink. But, hey, -my- writing desk certainly has a quill!

As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between fact and what most people call fiction is about fifteen pages in the dictionary. - Charles de Lint
Lilias
La Blanche
Femme Fatale
Hunted

Referrals: 702

Pas a pas se va luènh.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:12:27 AM »

Welcome to our little writing corner of the internets!

I love quills (and parchment paper, and sealing-wax, and signets) but I find myself doing more and more writing, even casual stuff like lists, on the computer. Is antique writing equipment something to cling to for daily use or to be saved for special occasions?

Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. I'm mad, but not ill.
The Lists <> The Games <> Journal

NaNoWriMo 2013: Won at 52,268 words!
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

Referrals: 1

He's Just this guy, you know?

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 07:56:09 AM »

Welcome aboard!

Do Yanaba and Ivory Rose know any people who aren't great writers?

Seriously! Husbands, friends, neighbors, the kid down the street.... I know like, 20 people really well, and none of them write anything.....

That was a question, right? *runs away*

"To thine own self be true, and thou canst not then be false to anyone."  ~William Shakespeare~
Lilias
La Blanche
Femme Fatale
Hunted

Pas a pas se va luènh.

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:03:22 AM »

Do you think you're the only one, Paul? All the people I know either don't speak English, or don't know what roleplay is, or would pitch a fit at the very thought of this kind of roleplay (or any combination of the three) Sad

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »

Yeah, most of my acquaintances claim to RP, but by and large they just like hack and slash, not actual RP. I'm just trying to picture Yanaba and Ivy's table top RP sessions, with all these great writers and RPers there. I bet they have whole, amazing sessions in which not a single die os rolled and yet lots of gaming gets done and everyone leaves satisfied...

That is almost beyond my comprehension...

"To thine own self be true, and thou canst not then be false to anyone."  ~William Shakespeare~
Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 09:40:19 AM »

Wow, not only did you come up with a good answer for a supposedly unanswerable riddle.. you also corrected the riddle that I put down.. The correct riddle is: how is a raven LIKE a writing desk.. not how do they differ.  Fifty points for Griffendor!  er ah.. for Nightwatch!

And Paul.  I wish my tabletops were like that.. I’ve got plenty of hack and slashers too.. and we haven’t done a Friday game In like two months, there has been two much going on in our lives.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 09:51:54 AM »

Yeah, Fridays and Saturdays ended up sucking for most of my group. We're doing Sunday afternoons now. I get to get my game on right before I go back to work. Makes the work week somewhat more bearable! Smiley

Lilias
La Blanche
Femme Fatale
Hunted

Pas a pas se va luènh.

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 10:11:27 AM »

Sunday afternoon into evening has always been my group's best playing time. Saturday invariably meant that we stayed up way too late and then wasted all of Sunday by flooping around instead of enjoying ourselves Grin

Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Stand and deliver...

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »

Wow, not only did you come up with a good answer for a supposedly unanswerable riddle.. you also corrected the riddle that I put down.. The correct riddle is: how is a raven LIKE a writing desk.. not how do they differ.  Fifty points for Griffendor!  er ah.. for Nightwatch!

And Paul.  I wish my tabletops were like that.. I’ve got plenty of hack and slashers too.. and we haven’t done a Friday game In like two months, there has been two much going on in our lives.

Hah, my brain took over and I read the riddle as if it were the literary quote. And, hey, if we wind up near you guys in the future, I am all for putting the RP back in tabletop games. Hack and slash tends to bore me to tears after a while. Don't even get me started on the rules 'discussions' that tend to go with.

Do Yanaba and Ivory Rose know any people who aren't great writers?
That was a question, right? *runs away*

Aww, thank you. Oh, and they do, I'm sure. :}

Welcome to our little writing corner of the internets!

I love quills (and parchment paper, and sealing-wax, and signets) but I find myself doing more and more writing, even casual stuff like lists, on the computer. Is antique writing equipment something to cling to for daily use or to be saved for special occasions?

I think a bit a handwriting should be included in everyday life, simply for the fact that people are really losing touch with skills necessary to write legibly these days. This causes awkward moments where your portable thecnology device of choice has a dead battery and, if you can even find a pen, you wind up with a messy scrawl of words on a napkin that no one can decipher.

Truly antique equipment, such as ink wells and dip pens, I tend to save for special occasions. For example, one of my forums does snail mail exchanges (of items like tea, handmade gifts, postcards, ect.) and I love making fancy notes to go along with whatever we happen to be exchanging at the time.

Fortune
Fella
Hunted

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 12:26:14 PM »

I love quills (and parchment paper, and sealing-wax, and signets)...

"... Of shoes and ships and sealing-wax, of cabbages and kings!"

Embarrassed Oh boy, carried away again. Anyway!

What sort of music do you prefer, when left to your own devices? And more particularly, do you have a top 5 favorite albums? Smiley

Love is easier made than kept! - The Chariot

Open for new RPs, PM if interested.
Lilias
La Blanche
Femme Fatale
Hunted

Pas a pas se va luènh.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 01:52:40 PM »

*grins and sticks tongue out at the compulsive quoter Tongue*

I've been using fountain pens whenever I have the choice since I was 15. Really spoiled for biros and pencils... :Smiley

Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Stand and deliver...

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 02:13:09 PM »

What sort of music do you prefer, when left to your own devices? And more particularly, do you have a top 5 favorite albums? Smiley

That's a hard question; I have very eccentric taste in music. I like most styles, but favor folk and euro-metal. My favorite bands/artists right now are Sarah McLachlan, Epica, The Wild Oates, Lacuna Coil, Pyrates Royale, Nightwish, P!NK, Cruxshadows, Blackmore's Night, Heather Dale, Falconer, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Natalie Merchant, Krypteria and Lady Gaga.  Lips Sealed

Top five albums? Hmmm... Vanessa Carlton: Be Not Nobody, Joan Osborne: Relish, Sarah McLachlan: Mirrorball, October Project: Falling Further In and Nightwish: Dark Passion Play.

I've been using fountain pens whenever I have the choice since I was 15. Really spoiled for biros and pencils... :Smiley

My friend brought some amazing fountain pens, with calligraphy nibs, back from France. You get this little barrels of ink and pop them in; mess free and tons of fun to write with.

Lilias
La Blanche
Femme Fatale
Hunted

Pas a pas se va luènh.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 03:15:07 PM »

Ink cartridges were what allowed me to use my fountain pens at school. I bought them by the dozen - cheap, colourful plastic ones - and used them till the nib points wore out and couldn't make proper contact with the paper.

Yay for a Nightwish fan who doesn't believe that anything without Tarja is crap! What's your favourite track off DPP? (Since 'Escapist' is not on the worldwide edition, I have to go for 'Cadence Of Her Last Breath' myself...)

Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Stand and deliver...

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 03:30:10 PM »

Ink cartridges were what allowed me to use my fountain pens at school. I bought them by the dozen - cheap, colourful plastic ones - and used them till the nib points wore out and couldn't make proper contact with the paper.

Yay for a Nightwish fan who doesn't believe that anything without Tarja is crap! What's your favourite track off DPP? (Since 'Escapist' is not on the worldwide edition, I have to go for 'Cadence Of Her Last Breath' myself...)

I had never encountered such fountain pens until sometime close to college. I only have one right now, but I really enjoy it.

Tarja was alright, but I like Anette better. I can't decide between "Bye Bye Beautiful", "7 Days to the Wolves" or "Islander". The only song I don't really care for (and even then will still listen to) is "Whoever Brings the Night".  I really love that whole album!

Fortune
Fella
Hunted

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 04:03:41 PM »

Haha, interesting tastes! I actually recognise and really like Lacuna Coil as well, even though they haven't toured around here in years (the one time they did I hadn't heard their music yet.)

Love is easier made than kept! - The Chariot

Open for new RPs, PM if interested.
Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Stand and deliver...

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »

Haha, interesting tastes! I actually recognise and really like Lacuna Coil as well, even though they haven't toured around here in years (the one time they did I hadn't heard their music yet.)

I did say they were eclectic. :} Epica will be playing in my area late in the summer and I'm really excited about that. I had an experience similar to yours once: When
I was a teen Tori Amos and Alanis Morissette were touring together. My friends and I all went to see Alanis, but we had no idea who Tori was so we skipped most of her set. I could really kick myself for that. ^_^;

Lilias
La Blanche
Femme Fatale
Hunted

Pas a pas se va luènh.

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »

I'm quite livid because the place where I grew up and lived for 34 years used to be a wasteland tour-wise, and now that I've moved out, everyone and their dogs are passing by. The very first summer I went away, Loreena McKennitt and Whitesnake played the same venue two days apart. Not fair, life is.

Since you like FFM so much, you might want to check out Stream of Passion and Pythia. Something tells me you're going to enjoy them right well Wink

Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Stand and deliver...

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 07:25:32 PM »

I'm quite livid because the place where I grew up and lived for 34 years used to be a wasteland tour-wise, and now that I've moved out, everyone and their dogs are passing by. The very first summer I went away, Loreena McKennitt and Whitesnake played the same venue two days apart.

It would have been interesting to see those two back-to-back. Kind of strange and dissonant. I think I may had heard a bit of music by Pythia on Pandora or some other streaming channel; thanks for the recommendation!

Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2010, 10:58:43 PM »

Waiting period is up...Welcome to the site.  Let me know if you have any questions.. its generally a good idea to make a rogues post with your likes and dislikes but not required.. you can find people looking for story partners in the Seeking sections...  I'd add more but I'm actually really tired.  Look around.. there's tons of great stories to read out here and hop on into the water whenever you are ready.

Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Stand and deliver...

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 11:13:51 PM »

Yay! I'll have a look around later as I'm also pretty tired. :}

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 11:48:47 PM »

You made it! I was concerned for a minute there. That Yanaba gal can be a bit tough on the pledges sometimes. She takes so much looking after!

Welcome aboard! Smiley

Bakeneko
Raised by Wolves
Skirt
Grifter

Stand and deliver...

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 11:54:05 PM »

You made it! I was concerned for a minute there. That Yanaba gal can be a bit tough on the pledges sometimes. She takes so much looking after!

Welcome aboard! Smiley

She is quite the mean one, sometimes.  Cheesy

Thanks!

HairyHeretic
Facilitator
Wanted

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 05:42:56 AM »

Yeah, most of my acquaintances claim to RP, but by and large they just like hack and slash, not actual RP.

Hey, a little mindless dungeon crawling can be fun once in a while Smiley

For the ultimate in hack and slash, get yourself an Eviscerator from Dark Heresy / Rogue Trader .. it's a two handed chainsaw sword with under-slung one shot flamethrower  Cheesy

Of course, you have a 5% chance of hitting yourself with it when you swing it around, but that's all part of the fun.  Tongue
Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 10:12:30 AM »

*kicks Paul's shin*  I am niceness incarnet.  and dont you dare say otherwise.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 10:14:51 AM »

Niceness incarnate?!

What does that even mean?

Who talks like that?

Tongue

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
World Enough and Time  |  The Hall  |  Please introduce yourself...  |  Enticed and Introduced  |  Topic: Yet Another of These Introduction Thingies
Jump to: