World Enough and Time
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:09:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
33995 Posts in 1435 Topics by 356 Members
Latest Member: Lurker
* Home PM Inbox SMF Help User Guide Site Rules Staff Members Tag Search ZC Blog Fiction & Art Login Register
World Enough and Time  |  The Hall  |  Please introduce yourself...  |  Enticed and Introduced  |  Topic: Oreo's Intro
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oreo's Intro  (Read 45656 times)
Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

Referrals: 9

I hear voices...

« on: October 15, 2009, 06:53:47 PM »

I'll start with the questions:

I heard about the site in Vekseids new thread on E for kinks to other sites.

I have been Roleplaying for two years, come March, all freeform. I prefer in depth, detailed writing and patient partners.

Are there any games, genres, authors or game/fiction universes that you particularly do or don't like?
Wow, that actually encompasses a lot of information. I'm willing to try almost any genre of RP once. I have played in a wide variety of venues including; espionage, western, scifi, fantasy, zombie hackers, apocalypse and aftermath, medieval, pirate, navy military, draconian, archeology, and steampunk. I've portrayed human, elf, dwarf, alien, shape-shifter, siren, harpy, dragon, Valkyrie, leonine, fairy and demon. Though I haven't played any Lycan, Vampire or Anthro RP's, I might be willing to attempt it with the right partner. I don't care for Anime. I am not opposed to any romance/mating between humanoid shaped intelligent beings with the proper appendages, O.o Yes, tentacles can be proper. I'm eclectic, if you can make something sound interesting, I'll likely try playing.

Personal favortie things:

Music: I like it all, if it's done well. My all time favorite song? I can't choose. It's a toss-up of Don McLean's~ American Pie, Harry Chapin's~ There Only Was One Choice & Cat's in the Cradle, Rick Wakeman's~ Journey to the Center of the Earth and Triumvirat's~ Spartacus. Favorite Album, Avantasia: The Tower or Harry Chapin's 'Dance Band on the Titanic'. I love all the oldies, country, rock, pop, classics, the list is endless. I only like slow dancing and of all things---Polka.

Literature: I prefer fantasy, scifi, historically correct novels and biographies. I've read almost all of James Michener's works. I loved Sacajawea by Anna L. Waldo. James Alexander Thomas'~ Follow the River had me riveted to my chair. Other authors in my top ten picks, Tolkien, MCcAffrey, Stephen R Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, Asimov's Foundation, Zelazny~Amber Chronicles, Frank Herbert's Dune, Piers Anthony (for fun). If it's scifi I love it.

Movies: Gotta go first place with historical war movies, Braveheart, Tobruk, Midway, Iwo Jima, Gallipoli, Bridge on the River Kwai, We Were Soldiers, Patton, Shogun and any others of that nature. Not too crazy about slapstick comedy, I'm more into dry humor. My favorite romance movie is between Groundhog Day, The Princess Bride, and The Con. Can't get enough Scifi and action adventure.

Favorite TV shows? Stargate, Babylon5, Star Trek, Alien Nation, House, Psych, Monk, CSI.

End of story.

Oh...I love cats.

Are there any types of adult content that you do or don't like?
I don't particularly care for hard bdsm/master-slave relations, neither do I have anything against them. They just aren't my cuppa java. I prefer to play powerful women, with men that are just as strong willed.Who will come out on top? Great romance needs powerful characters. From Marc Antony and Cleopatra, through Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'hara, to Han Solo and Princess Leia - the common thread is dom/dom. It's more of a Hercules meets Xena kind of thing; two headstrong people. It isn't about the dominant power in bed. It's about the man proving he is strong enough to take what he wants, while the woman fights him for the right to have her. I don't like to go meekly into the subservient role. I like to play rough, but not painfully so. Nothing 'extreme'. No toilet stuff. No vore, underage, or hermaphrodites. No Face slapping (I was in a RL abusive relationship, and I can't get past this issue.)

My age? It's only a rumor that my grandparents rode Pterodactyls. It was actually Velociraptors. I stand firmly by the conviction that though my mother was accused of being a witch it was not during the Salem Trials. While my father is Scottish he was born entirely too late to shine his fanny in King Edward Longshanks face. That leaves me, and though I am quite ancient I am not yet dead. My earliest memory was of my third birthday. In a fit of rage I threw my brand new pair of 'Mary Janes' in the lake and watched them swirl through the pristine water all the way to the bottom, where they lay against the golden colored stones that lined the lake bed. The very nature of the clean water is the only clue I will give as to my age. Well, maybe one more. Not long after that 'Kennedy' was shot and the country began its descent to hell. I have since learned the value of a good pair of shoes, and have passed the lesson on to my children, -winks- even grand children. -laughs- I have even learned to control my temper. Though the many and varied characters that reside in my head might dispute that claim, they are the only ones I argue with about it.

I think I'll quit rambling about my age now. Shhhh! What? ....No...but.. Alright already. The people in my head want it made clear that they don't argue with me. Sheeesh! See what I have to live with?

My sex? -Looks down- very curvy female with all parts still in place, though the reproductive organs have been disconnected.

Yes I read and understood the site rules.

Sample of my writing?
It's so hard to choose. Going with three characters from my new RP, Inferno @ [url=http://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=48919.0]http://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=48919.0[/url] . A High Fantasy meets Dante's Inferno cross.

The door to the tavern creaked on its old hinges as Faelin entered. Even though it was yet early morning the room was filled with all manner of humans. Cautiously, he pulled the dark woolen hood of his cloak forward to hide his sharp almost angelic features. His height alone was enough to give away his Elven nature for those who cared to pay attention. Faelin was not in the habit of frequenting human establishments, but was not entirely unfamiliar with them either. Head turning in disgust as the swirling smokey cloud engulfed him, then dissipated in the sweeter air of the outdoors, he forced himself into the stench. He never understood how humans could find any joy in the practice of inhaling burnt plants, but to each his own. He just wished he didn't have to breathe the noxious fumes. The inn was dimly lit, the overhead candle globes doing their best in an otherwise gloomy atmosphere. There were a few small windows on the far side of the room against the street, letting in the morning light, but he preferred the back wall. The shadows would serve him well.

His clothing was richly made; plum trimmed with gold and cream handiwork. Everything about him spoke of his highborn status, but he kept it subdued with subtle illusion. A simple trick of the light around him, and he appeared as no more than a weary traveler. His silver trimmed Ironwood bow looked like simple a staff in his hand. Yet, used as a melee weapon in these closed quarters it could strike a man down with it's razor's edged face. While his clothing seemed common there was little he could do to hide his confident bearing. His every motion warned the wary to not interfere. His stride taken with purpose, fell in silent steps. A simple nod to the barkeep in passing, Faelin made his way to a far seat against the wall. He was not here to socialize. If he were to venture into the dark wastes in search of the plague's source he would need others with him.

Easing a chair into the corner, he leaned back deeper into the shadows. Steepled fingers pressed against his lips, only the intense stare of his amber eyes were visible. They cast about the room settling for a span on each patron, before casually moving to the next. One of the human women, peculiar to the taverns, ventured toward him. The last thing he wanted was some floozy of a human clinging to him. The subtle glare and stiffening of his winged brows halted her in her tracks. She scurried off to a table of pathetic locals swimming in inebriation. It was one thing to drink for joy, but these humans that drank to the point of stupidity he could not abide. The tavern was an excellent place to weed out everyone he wouldn't want traveling with him.

The mug of ale that had been set before him went largely untouched. The foam had long settled, when he finally ordered a platter of food. He would have much preferred Elven wine, but that had run out a fortnight ago. With a muttered disapproval and a sigh he again leaned back into the shadows. It looked as if this would take longer than he thought. Was there no one worth traveling with in this wide array of would be thrill seekers? His mind wandered as he watched the doorway scanning each new patron that entered...

...The Counsil sat, Elensil at the head. He had a regal, ancient presence that over-shadowed the chamber; his dark hair long with years, and eyes that commanded his domain. Faelin could remember no other ever being there. The proceedings always seemed so calm on the surface. The faces serene. An outsider would never suspect the tows and undercurrents flowing from the elders. This was Faelin's first year to sit as a member rather than an observer. His attention focused as Elensil surmised, "It is agreed then? It is of no concern to the High Elves what happens in the world of men. We have never been affected by their weakness and illness before. It will pass us by. Some will live, many will die; when they are gone the world will continue as it always has."

Balin, nodded his head slightly, his thin frame elegant as he raised himself from his stool. "The High Vale Clan concurs, Elensil." His glance at the others indicating he expected no dissent. One after another, rose in agreement; from the far northern clans, even unto the south. Elensil began making his way to the center of the arched room. The sun, glinting off his crown, as it shone down through the high domed crystal insets that made up the ceiling of the council chamber. Open arched walls revealed the mountain beauty surrounding the High City. Raising his staff before Faelin had begun to speak, he was brought up short...

Faelin's tall frame moved slowly, with equal grace of the others, but his words were not at all alike. "The East River Clan will not abide the council Elensil. We are not in concordance.The plague lies at the border of Ruhlan'Tor. I will be personally venturing to seek its source. Several of my clan came nigh unto death from the evil spilling closer to us every day. Even the water flowing from the east is fouled. The plague is coming, denying its power will not slow its course."

Elensil's brows furrowed in warning, his staff hitting the floor with a thunderclap. "Do as you wish Faelin, but enough with your exaggerations. You are young still, and possibly don't understand the ramifications of our involvement as a people.The council has spoken." Faelin sputtered for a moment before clenching his jaw in resolve and defiance. He would not have thought it possible, perhaps their opinions would change as the plague advanced and they had to deal with the reality. First Elensil, then the others filed out of the hall deliberately avoiding Faelin's eyes.
That had been nearly a full moon ago, his thoughts drifted back to the present...

~~~

Honnali entered the tavern next to the sign post with quizzical look on her dainty childlike face. Ignoring the volumes of pipe and tobacco smoke filtering out into the air, she stepped boldly into the common room. Her lilac lips quirked into a lopsided smirk as she listened to all the chattering amongst the customers. They hardly took notice of her. That's fine by me, she thought as she sidled her small frame through the multitude of occupied tables and chairs. It allowed her to better assess them. There were several, out of the whole motley crew, that held her interest. They might prove useful. She made a mental note to point them out to A'lya later, but for now, it had been a long flight to get here and she was rather thirsty. Jostling her way through the throng at the bar, her tiny pale frame looked out of place amongst the rough and tumble crowd.

When she finally made an opening her feet raised up on tip toes to peer at the bar keeper with her large violet eyes. He was a tall, thin sort of man with a huge handlebar mustache that curled up on the ends. Laughing at something one of the patrons said, he glanced at the glass he had been wiping with his rag and set it on the counter.

Honnali's look bored into him but he seemed to not even notice her. A petulant pout crossed her features, and with her dainty foot she stomped the floor sending a quake rippling through the floorboards and up the walls. Dust from the rafters filtered down on the patrons...a hush fell over the room. Pert lips curved up into a tiny bow. Oh, how she loved stomping her foot.

In a lilting whisper she requested, "Can I have a rootbeer? And if you don't mind my asking, why is everyone so excited?"

Every eye in the room turned toward her. She reminded herself that she preferred the quiet of the woodlands for this very reason. Humanoids were an odd bunch. But she needed to find out as much as she could about the Posted Reward everyone was so interested in. People were often more forthcoming when questioned by an innocent child's face than a intimidating dragon. When George showed up in a town there was always some fool who wanted nothing more than a trophy fight. It was annoying but something he had gotten use to after two hundred years of experiencing human ignorance.

~~~
...Faelin could see the door from his far corner, and was mindful the instant it fell ajar. Other patrons had entered the establishment as the hours wore on. He had about given up for the day, when a small waif of a creature entered. His eyes seemed to glow from the confines of his hood as he sensed the magic from her. He glanced around the bar wondering why the others were paying no heed. Such a tiny little thing, definitely Fae. She most certainly bore watching. A smirk lifted the corner of his lip as the tavern shook with her stomped foot. How did she do that? he wondered.
~~~

The bartender eyed her for a moment, "Root Beer is it?" He chortled, filling a mug. "There you go little lady. Not much to tell you though about the plague. Refugees have been flooding in here from the east, sick and dying. No one can figure the cause. Some locals put up a reward for brave souls wiling to find out what is causing the problem. The dying say the darkness is coming towards us, but until it gets here I'm not believing it. It'll probably blow over in a month or two and things will be back to normal." He looked her in the eye, a gentle smile under his huge hairy mustache, "Nothing to worry your pretty little self over."

Slipping her coin on the counter, she grasped the heavy mug, chugging the sweet drink she set it back down. "One more please. I have a feeling this is going to be a long trip."

~~~

At the other end of town, A'lya poked her head into the dimly lit shop, yep, this looked like the place. Barely opening the door to slip on in, she closed it silently behind her. A Dwarf was piddling around in the far corner, she assumed he was the proprietor. Her light steps never even creaked the wooded floorboards. Examining the shelves, he seemed to be stocked with just about every sundry item she might be needing. As she approached the rotund fellow she cleared her throat while poking his back. He jumped slightly, spinning around, his blue vest a blur of motion. Arms raised as if someone were about to attack him, he looked A'lya over, giving a snort.

"What do you be needin', elf? Hmmmpf." Smelling up the place with their funky cedar scent, but money is money.

He was old, had grown rather bulbous and wobbled as he made his way to the sales counter. A'lya was amazed that he had been able to move so quickly when she startled him a moment ago. Dwarfs weren't the first race she'd choose as a companion, but she didn't have to travel with him. So long as he struck a fair deal she had no problem here. Ignoring his snootiness she followed after him.

"I am looking to purchase some basic supplies. I also heard you specialize in Earth Scrolls. I was hoping you had some in stock. Fire and wind magic I am adept at, but I may need something more in these unknown burn areas I intend to explore."

He ruffled his long beard in thought before nodding. So she's a plague tracker, no need to be concerned with pinching her last penny, she won't be needing it. How many fools had gone through here already? All of them wandering back within days to die in the refugee camp. "I have a few but they're going to cost you." He was counting the coins he thought he could get from her already.

"First tell me what they do, then we will haggle over price..."

A'lya exited the shop well please with her purchases, though the dwarf was still grumbling a bit. She had a way of squeezing the last penny while bartering. Her purple hair ruffled lightly in the noon breeze. Thankful it was blowing from the west; the stench from the east was noxious enough to make one think twice about venturing into plague infested lands.

Now to find Honnali, I hope she had as much success. We could really use some help on this journey. She smiled and headed toward the tavern. Jostling through the crowd around the sign she had read earlier. Shaking her head, A'lya had no interest in the reward. She was here for the adventure. Only an idiot would risk death for money. Though she had to admit it didn't make much sense to risk death for adventure either. Loaded down with her sack of supplies, she crossed the street to the tavern. Her head shook in wry humor at the sign above the entry; a rather large dancing dragon grasping a flagon of ale. George must have loved that!

Fill me a bowl of wine. Give me a watch. Saddle white Surrey for the field to-morrow.
Look that my staves be sound, and not too heavy... So, I am satisfied.
Give me a bowl of wine. I have not that alacrity of spirit,
nor cheer of mind, that I was wont to have. Is ink and paper ready?
                                     ~ King Richard III - Shakespeare
Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 07:43:14 PM »

I heard about the site in Vekseids new thread on E for kinks to other sites.

Laughs herself silly at the punny fauxpas...'links' to other sites. Or was it more of a Freudian slip?

Those who can laugh at themselves will never cease to be amused. Heaven knows, I crack myself up on a daily basis.

(sorry for the double post)

Fill me a bowl of wine. Give me a watch. Saddle white Surrey for the field to-morrow.
Soran
Geriatric Crusader.
Fella
Grifter

Referrals: 2

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 05:26:35 AM »

Damn.... why does your intro look so much better than mine? heh!  Grin

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 05:55:02 AM »

It doesn't look better. It just looks longer because I'm older than you. Tongue

I hadn't thought earlier about my BlueMoon Archives that aren't blocked. So here is a link to a few of my characters for those not associated with Elliquiy:
[url=http://bluemoonroleplaying.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7814]http://bluemoonroleplaying.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7814[/url]

HairyHeretic
Facilitator
Wanted

Referrals: 1

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:33:15 AM »

Age is only a state of mind Smiley

I've always been fond of the immortal Groucho Marx's words of wisdom on age, in that "You're only as old as the woman you feel" Wink
Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

Referrals: 11

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 08:44:31 AM »

Welcome Oreo!

Your intro story is a very good read.  I really feel you capture the smug superiority complex of most elves with your description as well as the atmosphere of a common tavern.  I look forward to reading more of your work.

Cats make the best companions.  I am owned by four of the furry little brats. 

You are also one of my favorite cookies.  Double stuffed of course.

Airindel
Skirt
Hunter

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 09:34:38 AM »

A warm welcome to World Enough and Time, Oreo, and too, I apologize for the tardiness of my greeting.

Your list of movies is very interesting, and I suppose more so because I have seen a good many myself with Gallipoli and the Bridge on the River Kwai being two of my favourite historical war films.

In regard to cats, if you were to become one by whatever magical means, what type of  kitty would you be or would you be a big cat?
Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »

Love the quote Hairy, and yes, if we are going by the age of my heart, it is quite young. I think it is almost a prerequisite for RP. We are like a bunch of kids still playing pretend. Peter Pan syndrome, but I love it. Life is much better when you don't forget how to hug Winnie the Pooh, or clap your hands to bring Tink back from the dead.

Thank you for reading, Yanaba. Those were the first characters I ever created. They have grown quite a bit over the past 20 odd months I've been learning to write. -laughs- I appear to have twice the furrys you do as I am blessed with 8 cats. Finally got them all fixed and stopped the feral population on out property. I love pie too, but it didn't make as good a username as Oreo.

Thank you for the warm welcome Airindel. As far as becoming a cat...it would be so hard to choose. It would definitely be one of the large cats. I adore tigers, but leopards are so graceful. It would be too hard to choose between the two. I might have to start a poll, should Oreo be spotted or striped? However, the best part about being a cat is being petted, so it might come down to what would get me the most pets. -roars with laughter- This requires considerable more thought than I expected. On second thought I'm going to share my favorite cat story from when I was a child. I want to be the cat at the end.

[url=http://www.songsforteaching.com/animalsongs/millionsofcats.htm]http://www.songsforteaching.com/animalsongs/millionsofcats.htm[/url]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millions_of_Cats]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millions_of_Cats[/url]

HairyHeretic
Facilitator
Wanted

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 08:40:46 PM »

The Cat Came Back Smiley
Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »

Hairy, -woot- that's what a cartoon is supposed to be. lmao

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

He's Just this guy, you know?

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 09:15:18 PM »

Welcome Oreo!

Loved your excerpt here, very fluid prose. Easy to read and well put together.

As for me, it would be cheetah all the way! Were-cheetah, even better! Tongue

"To thine own self be true, and thou canst not then be false to anyone."  ~William Shakespeare~
Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 09:32:40 PM »

I thought of cheetah too, PaulLell, but they run, 'a lot'. I'm more of a slinky walker, and I love power though I rarely use it. It's just one of those things that feels good to have in reserve, like a frozen candybar in the back of the freezer. Thanks for the compliment on my writing. I know I have a long way to go, but I keep striving. It is one of those things it is difficult to judge yourself. I never feel completely satisfied with what I've written. But, I do sometimes feel surprised when I go back and read something a month later and think, did I write that? Not too bad.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 09:42:14 PM »

Yeah, and oddly enough, I really don't enjoy running at all... Go figure.

As for writing... I know exactly how you feel there. Even working on my third novel, I have trouble beleivng that people are willing to pay for my prose (not a lot yet, mind you, but the numbers are growing and feedback remains largely very good). It's sort of surreal sometimes really.

The other day my dad read a passage from the second book to my mom, and they both grinned and looked at me. At the same time I was thinking, "I wrote that?! No freaking way! I don't write stuff that sounds that amazing!"

"To thine own self be true, and thou canst not then be false to anyone."  ~William Shakespeare~
Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 09:59:01 PM »

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that has trouble believing their own writing is good. My biggest problem is, I never paid much attention to grammar in school. I loved creative writing, but to this day I'm dreadfully unaware of the proper placement of a comma.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 10:24:21 PM »

The comma is a little bastard! Either too many, or too few. Never just right.

That's what my editor is for. But she just does stuff for publication. All of my Internet word-spew is entirely stream-of-conscious! Although I do try to eradicate all of the little red squigglies...

Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

Referrals: 11

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 11:07:05 PM »

Welcome aboard Oreo!  Let me know if you have any questions or there is anything I can help you with.

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 11:51:25 PM »

-hugs- Thank you, Yanaba. I'm very excited to be here. Wink I have no problem yelling for help. I'll be sure to contact you if there are any dire emergencies.

PaulLell Sometimes I just let the squigglies stay. I figure if Melville could get away with it in Moby Dick, and Carroll with Jabberwocky, I can say my fairy flew with flutterings of gossamer and throbbings of magic pulsed in her breast.

"I remember the first albatross I ever saw. It was during a prolonged gale, in waters hard upon the Antarctic seas. From my forenoon watch below, I ascended to the overclouded deck; and there, dashed upon the main hatches, I saw a regal, feathery thing of unspotted whiteness, and with a hooked, Roman bill sublime. At intervals, it arched forth its vast archangel wings, as if to embrace some holy ark. Wondrous flutterings and throbbings shook it. Though bodily unharmed, it uttered cries, as some king's ghost in super natural distress. Through its inexpressible, strange eyes, methought I peeped to secrets not below the heavens."  ~Melville

Though, when I quoted that in one of my RPs, I was in a quandary as to whether I should correct it or not. He also ended the sentence in a preposition, lol. I can only conclude the rules of writing are unclear.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 01:30:37 AM by Oreo » Logged

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »

Did you know that an albatross can go nearly its entire life without ever landing?

Welcome aboard! Smiley

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2009, 11:59:43 PM »

No, I didn't know that, though I did know they mate for life. Thanks for the welcome. It feels homey here.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »

Wait 'til I get started! Where was I?

Australia.

Ah yes!

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 12:11:14 AM »

Oh my, loads of deadly poisonous creatures there. I only have black widows and rattlesnakes, but they rarely kill. And puny scorpions that hurt when they sting.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2009, 12:39:08 AM »

Sounds like my neck of the woods.

Although we have bears and mountain lions as well..... Nothing like being eaten alive while out hiking. Cheesy

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2009, 12:43:14 AM »

I must be in the same neck. I am in the woods and have mountain lions, wild boars and bears, oh my. A mountain lion even came onto our front porch to mutilate our terrier a few years ago. Trappers came in and got rid of three of them. They found a cache of pets from the entire neighborhood.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2009, 12:46:39 AM »

Yeah, we're not quite up high enough to have them on our porch, but we're only an hour's bike ride from there. And my folks live up around 9200 feet. The get all manner of wild beastie in their yard throughout the year.

THey had a coyote in their front yard this year, or what was left of it after the mountain lion had killed it and eaten it there anyway....

Fun times!

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 01:01:16 AM »

I'm only at 2,000' but we still have the lions and bears, bobcats, lynx, and coyote too. No wolves though Sad I wish I lived higher up, but at least I get a little snow every year.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »

Lived up here my whole life. You can have the snow!! :|

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 01:09:06 AM »

I guess too much is enough, lol. I only get about a foot or two, twice a year. It's usually gone in a week.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2009, 01:11:15 AM »

Yeah, it rarely lasts long in Denver, although I think we may get some lingering snow this year. At my folk's house it starts in October and stays until May.

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2009, 01:15:53 AM »

-laughs- Yes that would get old quick. I wouldn't want to be snow bound for that long. Though I wouldn't mind a month of not being able to get out. Kind of a reprieve from the world.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2009, 01:20:43 AM »

Yeah. Up there they measure their winters 'by the wire'. As in, which strand on the barbed wire fence does the snow get to? Last year was a three wire winter, and this year they are expecting four, which they haven't had happen in nearly a decade.

Suffice to say, they'll be spending the season inside! Cheesy

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 01:36:57 AM »

Yeah, we had one year where we got 3 1/2' of snow and couldn't even see our picnic tables. It was a blast watching the cats try and navigate through the drifts.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 01:59:16 AM »

We got two separate 3 foot storms within two weeks of one-another last year. Took us nearly 8 hours, working in shifts, 2 people at a time, to shovel out.

I'm considering buying a snow-blower.....

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 02:13:52 AM »

It's probably a good idea for your location. We just waited for it to melt. The driveway is way too long to even try to get to the road anyway, and the snow plows didn't get to our street till five days after the snowfall. Even if we had gotten down our 2000' of driveway, there was no place to go.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 03:26:01 AM »

We used to get that at our old place. In an unincorporated county area, they were never terribly concerned about getting to us with the plows.

We had one christmas out there that took 8 of us over 10 hours to shovel out enough of the driveway to get one vehicle out. Took the rest of the week to shovel the rest.

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 04:45:43 AM »

We have the same problem when there is a power outage. Ours is always the last road to be repaired. We were out of power for over a week two winters ago. By the way, is it okay to use our intro threads for chatting? It feels strange to not have a chat box, or thread specifically for common chatter. >.> or did I miss seeing it?

HairyHeretic
Facilitator
Wanted

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 08:58:50 AM »

http://worldenoughandtime.net/forums/index.php?board=3.0

There's a board for general chat. Is that what you're after?
Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 09:22:06 AM »

Thanks Hairy, I saw the board, but it seemed geared more toward topics rather than, 'Hey it's hot today, I just picked peached and my cats have rabies." -winks- like the Doormat thread on E.

HairyHeretic
Facilitator
Wanted

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 10:42:59 AM »

Stick in a doormat thread then Smiley
Soran
Geriatric Crusader.
Fella
Grifter

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 11:59:20 AM »

Stick in a doormat thread then Smiley

A Doormat thread? What a good idea Hairy!  Grin

*Ducks from the objects flying from Oreo*

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »

Awesome sweet, Hairy. Thou art more clever than I. -giggles-

Soran, surely you know that the only objects that fly from Oreo are blown kisses. Duck them if you will, but most try to catch them.

-runs to see if anyone beat her to starting a Doormat thread-

Soran
Geriatric Crusader.
Fella
Grifter

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 07:00:52 AM »

Soran, surely you know that the only objects that fly from Oreo are blown kisses. Duck them if you will, but most try to catch them.

Oh I'll catch those!  Grin

Oreo
Skirt
Wanted

I hear voices...

« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 07:12:51 AM »

I thought you might Cheesy.

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
World Enough and Time  |  The Hall  |  Please introduce yourself...  |  Enticed and Introduced  |  Topic: Oreo's Intro
Jump to: