World Enough and Time
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:11:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
33995 Posts in 1435 Topics by 356 Members
Latest Member: Lurker
* Home PM Inbox SMF Help User Guide Site Rules Staff Members Tag Search ZC Blog Fiction & Art Login Register
World Enough and Time  |  The Hall  |  Please introduce yourself...  |  Enticed and Introduced  |  Topic: Of Introductions and (as much as is possible) Explanations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Of Introductions and (as much as is possible) Explanations  (Read 15859 times)
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

Referrals: 1

He's Just this guy, you know?

« on: June 26, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

OK,

I'm sort of taking the instruction thread prompts in line, so hopefully I don't get off track or run on too much here...

I was referred here by your very own Yanaba, from her Roleplayers Anonymous board. Although we met at the Raven Mythic a number of years ago.

I have RP'd in just about every medium I can think of through the years. I have played LARP in my youth, even wrote rules for a new breed since Amtgard and NERO weren't enough to my liking. Before, during, and after that (for all my life it seems at times), I have played pen and paper RPGs in myriad flavors (D&D, Middle Earth, Star Wars, Marvel, DC, Toon, GURPS, D20, White Wolf, Palladium, and many more). I've played most of the MMORPG's out there, although I don't currently play any as my writing, family, and work tend to consume most of my time. I've played a dozen or so MUDs, and a friend of mine and I ran a Neverwinter Nights persistent world server out of my house for over two years (he did 99% of the coding, I did 99% of the world building), at our peek, we had around 250 regular players, a huge, ever-expanding tradeskill system, a banking system, quests, teleporters, an on-the-fly adjustable loot table system, scripted events, live RP events, and the works.

In terms of writing, I write anything I can. I am a writer in every waking moment of my life, although I pay the bills vis different means at the moment (true of many in a place such as this I am sure). I lean toward Science Fiction, High Fantasy, Fantasy, and Super Hero fare, although I am always interested in broadening my scope, writing from prompts, and collaborating in unfamiliar territory. I have published my first novel 'The First Key of Kalijor', will be publishing the second book in the next month or so (just waiting on the cover art), and have also published a novella 'Jumah's World' to benefit The Children's Hospital.

As for games/genres/worlds that I do or don't particularly care for? I can't really think of anything I'd just rather not write/read, with the exception of reality (I get enough of that in the news feeds every day). Although I guess I tend to write in my own universe more than anything else. Kalijor is my baby though, so I suppose that would be expected.

Adult content.... I will read pretty much anything. I have a very open mind about 99.9% of anything and everything I have ever encountered in my life, and can usually remain very objective about it in post-exposure consideration (as an example, I really enjoyed all of the Highlander movies. You just have to consider them each on their own, outside of the established time-line, as separate universes as it were). I have yet to write anything really sexually explicit, although I am not at all opposed to it. I've just not gone there as yet. I can't imagine writing sex scenes with gore or much violence in them, but I do enjoy a good bit of light/medium BDSM and some other quirks.

Writing samples....

In the interest of time, I will provide two URL's here. The first one is to my posted short stories/excerpts at Kalijor.com. The website for my books/novels. 100% of the writing throughout the site is mine, not just the stories at this URL. (I have no idea if this site auto-parses links or not, nor what sort of code is OK for beginners such as myself, so I am just putting in the URL and trusting that the old copy/paste method is alright for the time being)

[url=http://www.kalijor.com/writings.htm]http://www.kalijor.com/writings.htm[/url]

THis next address is for my gallery at deviantart.com where you will find many of the stories at Kalijor.com, plus a great deal more. Please bear in mind that almost nothing at my dA page has been edited in any way other than basic spell-checking. This is kind of my 'stream of consciousness' dumping ground for writing (and other) projects, so please bear that in mind as you look about.

[url=http://paullell.deviantart.com/gallery/]http://paullell.deviantart.com/gallery/[/url]

I am indeed beyond my 21st year.
I am biologically Male.
I have read and understand the site rules (except for that bit about monkeys and whipping cream. I'm still trying to puzzle that bit out...)

I think that about covers it, so thank you for taking the time to look this over, and I hope to be creating worlds with y'all soon! Smiley

"To thine own self be true, and thou canst not then be false to anyone."  ~William Shakespeare~
Sherona
Skirt
Grifter

Referrals: 0

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 11:29:50 AM »

Hiya Paul! Wow I am still working on a book but its about a decade in the making, more of a hobby. I too enjoyed the highlander series and see what you mean about that. Welcome to this little corner of the world.
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 11:38:54 AM »

Thank you!

I seem to suffer from some form of literary diarrhea... People tend to give me terrible, skin-flaying looks when I tell them how much I write. I can't help it really, it just keeps pouring out. I need more editors. And cover artists that will work for peanuts.

*dramatic sigh*

Life is tough, and getting an agent is tougher!

"To thine own self be true, and thou canst not then be false to anyone."  ~William Shakespeare~
Airindel
Skirt
Hunter

Referrals: 2

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 11:40:05 AM »

Hi Paul!

I just wanted to stop by and welcome you to World Enough and Time. I hope you will enjoy yourself here.
Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

Referrals: 11

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 11:40:52 AM »

You'll make it.  You do come up with the most uniqu characters!  it's great to see you here Paul.  There are some fabulous writers in this community!

Sherona
Skirt
Grifter

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 11:42:08 AM »

*smiles* No such thing as literary diarrhea from my perspective
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 11:46:31 AM »

*smiles* No such thing as literary diarrhea from my perspective

Ha!

You haven't some of the crud I've produced! I have files filled with incoherent, pointless babbling. Files that measure into the dozens of megabytes!

Sherona
Skirt
Grifter

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »

*smiles* I have a knack for rambling and 'fluff' paragraphs myself.
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 11:53:22 AM »

Yay!

Filibusterers of the world unite!!

Thanks for the welcome all. Smiley

Archangel
The Forgotten Angel
Fella
Operations

Referrals: 3

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 01:15:36 PM »

Hey Paul, just want to add my welcome to the pile !!!

Being that you are a writer yourself (even if it doesn't pay the bills)   Smiley  do you have a few favourite writers? Any books in particular that you've read that you recommend to others, the kinds of books you can read over and over again?

Do you dream of Angels?
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 01:34:14 PM »

Hey Paul, just want to add my welcome to the pile !!!

Being that you are a writer yourself (even if it doesn't pay the bills)   Smiley  do you have a few favourite writers? Any books in particular that you've read that you recommend to others, the kinds of books you can read over and over again?

Thank you!

I didn't mention other authors/books mostly because I read any darn thing. I have a difficult time pegging individual's or books as 'favorites' (I'm the same way with music and movies as well).

As with my writing, I tend to mostly lean toward sci-fi and fantasy fare, although I don't dwell there exclusively. Some good ones I have read through the years:
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Admiral Thrawn series (forgot the subtitle) from Star Wars, by Timothy Zahn
The Saga of the Seven Suns
Anita Blake
Harry Potter
The Stone and the Flute (Hans Bemmann and Anthea Bell)
Pierce Anthony
Isaac Asimov (loved the Foundation series, and i, Robot especially)

I'd have to go look at our library to list more, I have a terrible memory for names unfortunately. Sad

In truth, there are only two books that I have ever not finished, and even those, I still enjoyed, I just never found any desire to pick them up again when I put them down (Interview with a Vampire, and The Jazz Cage).

Lately I've been reading a lot of unpublished material at Authonomy.com. A site where a bunch of folks trying to get published post and trade comments on their works, much like dA.

Archangel
The Forgotten Angel
Fella
Operations

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 01:56:48 PM »

Good list there.

I don't read nearly as much as I wish i did. between life and work i simply have a hard time finding time to just relax with a good book... My personal favourite is Rovbert E Howard, the pioneer of Sword and Sorcery. This is probably why I often like to write dark and gritty stories of heroic fantasy.

Recently i've been reading some Jack Whyte between bits of REH. His style is certainly interesting...

When you collaborate to write fantasy and sci-fi, do you prefer to use an existing world to write in, like star wars or forgotten realsm for example or do you prefer to make up the world as the story goes along...? If you do prefer to make up your own environements, how much do you plan ahead?

Do you dream of Angels?
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 02:18:14 PM »

Good list there.

I don't read nearly as much as I wish i did. between life and work i simply have a hard time finding time to just relax with a good book... My personal favourite is Rovbert E Howard, the pioneer of Sword and Sorcery. This is probably why I often like to write dark and gritty stories of heroic fantasy.

Recently i've been reading some Jack Whyte between bits of REH. His style is certainly interesting...

When you collaborate to write fantasy and sci-fi, do you prefer to use an existing world to write in, like star wars or forgotten realsm for example or do you prefer to make up the world as the story goes along...? If you do prefer to make up your own environements, how much do you plan ahead?

I don't read nearly as much as I'd like to either. As you say, too much going on in life. Sad
One of the things I love about today's technology is that it does make it easier though. Being able to read books on my phone allows me to get bits in while I am waiting, riding, whatever...

As for worlds. I really can, and enjoy writing, in both existing worlds, and on-the-fly creations. When using someone else's world though, I tend to want to know everything I can about it before I start writing there. I have some deeply seeded fear of treading somewhere I shouldn't be, or getting some little bit wrong. I am a bit OCD, so I know where that comes from and how silly it really is most of the time, but what's a person to do?

When making things up, I am of two minds. If I am writing with someone else (in a place such as this), I tend to just wing it, play off prompts, or add/change things as they are needed. I am often overly-cruel to my own characters on a regular basis, and unless I am using my own Kalijor canon characters, like for other folks to put them in rough spots for me to write out of (or further into).

When on my own, and making up my world, I tend to work every little detail out in excruciating detail. I know how the branches of the government work, who is running what, who owns the ice cream shop on the corner, what people strive for and fear, how the black market interacts with the government, how that customs agent got the little scar on her chin, and much, much, MUCH more. Once I have my world built out, I do the same thing with the players. All of my characters, even the secondary and tertiary ones) have complete histories, childhoods, educations (or lack thereof), wants, desires, fears, quirks, tastes, and so on.

After the setting is built, and the characters are set, I establish a 'problem' then drop the players in and let them tell their own story. As Stephen King said in his 'On Writing' (another great book that I think any writer should read), The story is always there, buried beneath out feet. It is the Writer's job to break out the archeology kit and brush/clean away, and gently excavate as much of it as we can so that others can see, and enjoy it!

I would love, at some point, to see, or participate with, other folks, writing in the world(s) of Kalijor.

Elandra
Skirt
Hunter

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 02:42:23 PM »

What intrigues you about the Anita Blake series? I ask because at first, like so many, I love Ms. Hamilton's books, but as time has gone on (after Blue Moon with the exclusion of Obsidian Butterfly) I find the books are all about sex, and how powerful Anita Blake can be...they have become boring.

Also I highly recommend Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series if you enjoy epic fantasy with tons of intrigue.

How do you stay motivated when writing? I tend to have great ideas and begin writing but then life gets the best of me, I get bored, and the story never finishes, which frustrates me and yet I don't go back to it.

“The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.” Albert Einstein
Archangel
The Forgotten Angel
Fella
Operations

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »

I don't read nearly as much as I'd like to either. As you say, too much going on in life. Sad
One of the things I love about today's technology is that it does make it easier though. Being able to read books on my phone allows me to get bits in while I am waiting, riding, whatever...

As for worlds. I really can, and enjoy writing, in both existing worlds, and on-the-fly creations. When using someone else's world though, I tend to want to know everything I can about it before I start writing there. I have some deeply seeded fear of treading somewhere I shouldn't be, or getting some little bit wrong. I am a bit OCD, so I know where that comes from and how silly it really is most of the time, but what's a person to do?

When making things up, I am of two minds. If I am writing with someone else (in a place such as this), I tend to just wing it, play off prompts, or add/change things as they are needed. I am often overly-cruel to my own characters on a regular basis, and unless I am using my own Kalijor canon characters, like for other folks to put them in rough spots for me to write out of (or further into).

When on my own, and making up my world, I tend to work every little detail out in excruciating detail. I know how the branches of the government work, who is running what, who owns the ice cream shop on the corner, what people strive for and fear, how the black market interacts with the government, how that customs agent got the little scar on her chin, and much, much, MUCH more. Once I have my world built out, I do the same thing with the players. All of my characters, even the secondary and tertiary ones) have complete histories, childhoods, educations (or lack thereof), wants, desires, fears, quirks, tastes, and so on.

After the setting is built, and the characters are set, I establish a 'problem' then drop the players in and let them tell their own story. As Stephen King said in his 'On Writing' (another great book that I think any writer should read), The story is always there, buried beneath out feet. It is the Writer's job to break out the archeology kit and brush/clean away, and gently excavate as much of it as we can so that others can see, and enjoy it!

I would love, at some point, to see, or participate with, other folks, writing in the world(s) of Kalijor.

I share your need for information when playing in someone elses world or environment. I just feel more comfortable the more information I have. It's probably i often like to just make up a world as I go, that way i can operate without limitations.

Do you dream of Angels?
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2009, 03:05:43 PM »

What intrigues you about the Anita Blake series? I ask because at first, like so many, I love Ms. Hamilton's books, but as time has gone on (after Blue Moon with the exclusion of Obsidian Butterfly) I find the books are all about sex, and how powerful Anita Blake can be...they have become boring.

Also I highly recommend Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series if you enjoy epic fantasy with tons of intrigue.

How do you stay motivated when writing? I tend to have great ideas and begin writing but then life gets the best of me, I get bored, and the story never finishes, which frustrates me and yet I don't go back to it.

I've only read the first couple of Anita Blake books. Never got so far as the devolution into sexual debauchery that folks have been on about. I liked the premise of the supernatural being integrated into the everyday lives of the world. It's been done before, and since, but the slant that Anita's perspective put on things just made it fun to read.

I'll check it out, as I tend to enjoy the more in depth plots. The epic pieces are more fun to chew on and mull over when I am taking breaks from my own writing.

How do I stay motivated? By a deep and pervasive fear that if I fail to get the words out of my head, they will cause the bloody thing to burst! In the case of Kalijor, which is by far what I write the most of, I write several short stories alongside each novel (the second novel is done, just waiting for cover art, and the third is about 200 pages in, although it's on hold as I recover from a fairly significant, technical problem), as well as RPG content. So, again in the case of Kalijor, I have written an RPG book (currently in editing), and am in the process of writing a series of source books, one for each population center and surrounding areas.

So, I try to make sure that I always have some part of the thing to work on when I burn out on something. Short stories tend to involve characters in different settings, or different characters entirely from whomever/wherever I am working in the novel, and the work on the RPG material also allows me to step back and look at things in a more encyclopedic/clinical light, which is less taxing on the melon.

Lastly. On the rare occasion that I just can't bring myself to put words on 'paper', I read. Usually a whole book, even if it takes a couple days, then get back to it. I've never really suffered from any sort of 'writer's block', rather, I occasionally just loose the will to keep at it. If reading a book doesn't help, then I open up my trash file and just write, stream of consciousness style. I don't care what I write, and don't even look at it, except to get rid of the little red squigglies. Sometimes I go back and read the junk file instead of a book, although it usually just sits there and collects the crap that falls out of my head while I force myself back to the good material.

I hope something in there is useful somehow. I do tend to run on.....

Trieste
Only Mostly Crazy
Directrix
Wanted

Referrals: 9

Femme Fatale

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2009, 10:12:03 PM »

Hello, Paul. With a list of books like that, I do hope you've read at least Ender's Game (although I'm also partial to Ender's Shadow). If not, please pick them up.

I'm personally in the middle of reading Sherlock Holmes for the first time, myself. I've had the book for years. It sits on my shelf next to Frankenstein, which I also have not yet read. Just not enough time, as you said. The poignancy of the site's title is clearly what appealed to you, here.

Welcome to World Enough and Time.

"Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault." ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 10:31:16 PM »

Hello, Paul. With a list of books like that, I do hope you've read at least Ender's Game (although I'm also partial to Ender's Shadow). If not, please pick them up.

I'm personally in the middle of reading Sherlock Holmes for the first time, myself. I've had the book for years. It sits on my shelf next to Frankenstein, which I also have not yet read. Just not enough time, as you said. The poignancy of the site's title is clearly what appealed to you, here.

Welcome to World Enough and Time.

You know, I haven't gotten around to the 'Ender's' Series yet, but it is on my list.

You know another good one that I read, and this may sound a little odd but hear me out, was by Louis Lamore. It was called 'The Walking Drum' and it was NOT a Western. It was a sort of historical fantasy piece that took place in and around the 'Arabian Nights' stories. I was really pretty good.

Oh, and Edgar Rice Burroughs! Love the John Carter series and Tarzan! Smiley

Thank you for the welcome, I hope to be able to dive into reading some of y'all's prose soon, and contributing some of my own. Smiley

Trieste
Only Mostly Crazy
Directrix
Wanted

Femme Fatale

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 11:18:39 PM »

Yeah, um, I totally remembered to approve your account, instead of getting distracted by Plants vs. Zombies and only just recalling to click save 'now'. ... >.>

"Those who find ugly meanings in beautiful things are corrupt without being charming. This is a fault." ~Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2009, 12:15:34 AM »

Hehehe.. That game is so addictive. 

I just a month ago finished reading Shadow of the Giant.  Very good author.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 12:23:13 AM »

Yeah, um, I totally remembered to approve your account, instead of getting distracted by Plants vs. Zombies and only just recalling to click save 'now'. ... >.>

No worries!

I'm up in the mountains anyway, so there are plenty of distractions other than the internet. Cheesy

Thank you.

Trieste
Only Mostly Crazy
Directrix
Wanted

Femme Fatale

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 01:21:40 AM »

No it isn't. I can stop whenever I want.

Only the last time I tried, I dreamt about pea shooters.

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 01:23:11 AM »

No it isn't. I can stop whenever I want.

Only the last time I tried, I dreamt about pea shooters.

Wow this must be some game!

I may have to check it out. I don't suppose there is a mac version, or would I have to boot up Windows?

Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 09:00:31 AM »

Its a pop cap game like peggle.  I'm not sure if they have a mac version  I think it may be Windows only

http://www.popcap.com/games/pvz?mid=pvz_pc_en_full

PaulLell
Fella
Double O

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »

Wow, it does, in fact, have a Macintosh version.

Unfortunately, it seems as if I actually can check it out. lol

Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 10:32:59 AM »

Welcome to your doom.   Cheesy

Trieste
Only Mostly Crazy
Directrix
Wanted

Femme Fatale

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »

It was nice knowing you for the time we did, Paul! *waves*

Tags:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
World Enough and Time  |  The Hall  |  Please introduce yourself...  |  Enticed and Introduced  |  Topic: Of Introductions and (as much as is possible) Explanations
Jump to: