World Enough and Time
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 14, 2018, 09:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
33995 Posts in 1435 Topics by 356 Members
Latest Member: Lurker
* Home PM Inbox SMF Help User Guide Site Rules Staff Members Tag Search ZC Blog Fiction & Art Login Register
World Enough and Time  |  The Hall  |  Please introduce yourself...  |  Enticed and Introduced  |  Topic: Introducing me
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Introducing me  (Read 5765 times)
Sy23
Fella
Snoop

Referrals: 0

« on: August 19, 2013, 08:43:09 AM »

Well, let's see.  I'll be honest I hate doing these intro things.  I can certainly start by saying I'm a male, and well over 21.  That I have read the site rules, approve of them, and plan to follow them to the letter.  That I am fully aware of the normal rules of RP etiquette, and that (though I say it myself) I'm thoughtful, considerate, charming, know how to use a spell check, and would sooner pull off my own head than metagame.  Beyond that, I can best provide information by referral to the suggested questions, viz:

How did you hear about the site?

Purely and simply, from Vekseid's thread about the server move over at "Blue Moon."  I always knew there were other RP sites around, but my membership of three (BM, and two more not connected with this site) always seemed to be enough.  On the day I write this, BM is going through a server move, and I'm missing my fix of erotic RP.

What sort of roleplay and/or writing have you done before?

I have been writing for many years, including six published novels (in a field well outside the parameters of this site - namely children's novels) and have been posting work on the web for about ten years.  Specifically regarding RP, I have been in this fascinating hobby for over two years, hold the status of "Master Gamer" at another site, and am dedicated to original and (what I hope are) envelope-pushing plots and pairings. 

Are there any games, genres, authors or game/fiction universes that you particularly do or don't like?

In general, I'm not too great a fan of canon.  Most books I have enjoyed seem complete enough - for example, much as I love "Lord of the Rings," I feel the story was brought to a satisfactory conclusion by Tolkien himself, and any added plot from amateurs such as myself can only weaken the unity of the story.  If I feel the need to add to a canon, I'd sooner write a conventional fanfic.  Backgrounds in which I am not hugely comfortable are anything where the non-realistic things available adulterate the challenge to my characters.  For example, I'm fine with near-future SF, but once faster-than-light drives and teleportatin are available, I think thst there's no longer any suspense in the story.  Similarly, if powerful magic is there at the drop of a hat (or staff) the character no longer has to use their resourcefulness or flexibility to achieve their ends.   

Are there any types of adult content that you do or don't like?

I have a dislike of anything involving the under 16s, and will not RP against either a character or player under this age.  Of course, that isn't an issue here, anyway, since such things (quite correctly) aren't permitted.  My personal tastes do not run to anthro, futa, male homosexuality or tentacles, though I am happy to read RPs written by others with these traits.   

Sample:

Since I can't access anything I currently have at BM, here's a sample from another site:

"It's Citizen ANT-4-18526447a, hatched day 142 2197, and - er -" He stopped. "It's Alex, doctor, Alex Michaelson. Well, that's the name I'm going by, anyway. I'm sure you've got everything on file there. And you'll never believe my real name, or my real history, anyway." He looked down at the floor, where, despite his best efforts, blood was still dripping. It was as if the pain, small as it was, had somehow allowed himself to speak. Instead of going over the same old boring ground, it was as if he wanted to tell someone - anyone - just how he was feeling.

"Do you know what it's like, doctor? To be exiled not only from your own home, but even your own time? And not be able to return? To know just what happ - what's going to happen - in 2063, and yet not be able to stop it, not to be able to get anyone to listen? Shit, there's people I speak to here who are still going to be alive when the - when it happens!"

He turned away.

"But since no-one here is ever going to believe it, I guess it's a case of who cares?"

Once again, Caitlyn was looking an idiot. It was not, however, entirely her own stupidity that had brought her to this pass... for once.

As she's opened the door, Ash had come skedaddling out, knocking her flying. Caitlyn was by no means strong or athletic, and while the collision had barely restrained Ash, it had sent Caitlyn flying. So now she sat, her skirt (which she had chosen especially for its modesty) hiked up around her waist, her blouse untucked and disheveled, her hair a mess, her pantyhose cascading down into rings around her skinny ankles. Both of her shoes had come off in the impact, and while she could see one, a few feet away, the other had gone flying off and who knew where it might be. She desperately wanted to cry Liam's name, to bring him running to her aid. Yet another part of her would have been mortified, had he appeared, and seen her in this position.

She was so upset that she could not even co-ordinate herself enough to get up... instead she sat there, her lip trembling, fighting back tears.

Oh well - there's the intro.  I now sit back and wait for further developments. 

Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

Referrals: 11

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:56:20 AM »

Ahhh.. That is right.. I knew the update was coming soon but did not remember what day it was scheduled.  That certainly explains the sudden influx of applicants and why I am having trouble keeping up this morning!

You intro looks quite complete… now for the getting to know you question… hmmm….  Since you seem to like futuristic/science fiction..  Which is more tragic?  Finding love with someone who is dying of an incurable disease and has a limited amount of time to be with you.. or finding love with an artificial intelligence that will outlive you?

Sy23
Fella
Snoop

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 11:53:45 AM »

Yanaba79, I have to say that I would much prefer the artificial intelligence.  I would imagine that having someone you adore deteriorate more and more, counting down the days, and having them eventually die in your arms would be a torture worse than anything.  And having to live on for years after their death, never being able to forget them would add even more salt to the wound. 

With the AI on the other hand, these pressures do not exist.  We would simply live our lives, and not dwell on the future.  And, once I died, I would either be in some undetermined afterlife or in peaceful oblivion, and thus spared the pain of memory.  And my former lover could simply be reprogrammed to forget me.  A much happier solution.

Of course, I need also to point out that even if my lover were an AI, there is no absolute guarantee I would die first.  An accident, a murder, might still happen in the best run universes.  But of course every couple takes this chance, and the alternative - never falling in love at all - is too sad to contemplate!   
Remy Vonn
Wife, Mum, Friend.
Skirt
Hunted

Had we but world enough, and time.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »

Hi and welcome. :-)

I roleplay on the open public forum only.
Please do not pm asking for private rp via IM or Messenger. Thank you.

Thinking out Loud. My OOC proposals and Introduction.

Posting rate, 4 to 5 days.
Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »

Well said.  I have to say that I agree with you.  The tragedy of loosing love too soon after you find it is one of the things guaranteed to bring me to tears.   There is a new movie coming out about the concept of falling in love with an AI… basically it is a Siri like intelligence that is programmed to be a companion to a lonely man who can’t seem to make a living relationship work.. It looks interesting and a little sad.  Of course falling in love with an Ai has been done before, but this seems like it might be a new envisioning of a classic theme.. I think the movie is called: Her

Anyways… Welcome to the site … if you have any questions let me know

Sy23
Fella
Snoop

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »

Many thanks for the welcome Yanaba79 and Remy Vonn.  Yanaba79. for me the classic IA love story has to be the one by Asimov, in his "Robot" series.  I attempted to RP it once with varying success. 
Yanaba79
Directrix
Operations

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »

LOL... i-robot is on my list of books I will get to eventually.  I had to slog my way through the foundation series after the first book so I ended up puting that author on hold... Although Nightfall is one of my favoirte books.

Sy23
Fella
Snoop

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »

Totally agree about the "Foundation" series - have tried to read it three times, never got past the first 20 pages.  I am glad to have my opinion conformed :^) 
Tags: introductions 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
World Enough and Time  |  The Hall  |  Please introduce yourself...  |  Enticed and Introduced  |  Topic: Introducing me
Jump to: